Each year comes with a new set of trends, styles and new marketing areas for online brands to explore. It can be vastly overwhelming and many sellers die trying to go all in on each new fad.
At Engine, we are firm believers in “test and iterate” — giving a new trend a small testing budget and then determining out if it’s going to be performant for your audience. If it works then embrace it and ease into your spend on that vertical. Over time, you can build up a good toolset of cutting edge verticals to operate in without breaking the bank. “Minimum Viable Marketing Channel” if you will.
MarTech Advisor breaks out nine trends for 2018 that they claim “Marketers Can’t Ignore” — I say that you can probably ignore some of these, but it’s a good hit list of things to test on your store at some point this year.
If you don’t want to read the article, here’s what the trends are:
1. Digital Transformation of Brick-and-Mortar Retail
2. User Experience Driving the Buying Experience
3. Rise of Augmented Reality
4. Research Online, Buy Offline
5. Streamlining Mobile Checkout
6. Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
7. Factoring Amazon (I’ll add in Walmart too) Into Every Marketing Plan
8. Optimizing for the Way Users Search
9. Going Beyond the Browser
Read on through for a deeper explanation of each of these items and how they’re changing the face of eCommerce over the rest of 2018.